Monday, December 5, 2011

Sunday Cooking Fiesta

I've had a bit of a laid back weekend. I've gotten a lot done, but mostly in PJ's. I am determined to shower and get out and run an errand or two today though. So far today I've made a quiche, cookies, and now 5 layer dip. I had intended to make up several pasta recipes, however I think I'm going to take a short break from pasta the next few days. So, I still needed to use up some ingredients. I had a pie crust left over from thanksgiving and some eggs. I wanted to use up some of the unusual cheeses I bought for a mac-n-cheese recipe earlier in the week. I also had basil and some tomatoes, so I mixed it all together and wall-la, quiche. 





 I also made a Chocolate Cake last night; good but not dark enough for me


And just now I made 5-Layer Dip w/ refried beans, guacamole, tomatoes, black olives, and cheddar cheese




And Ranger Cookies...

These were quite the experience, as I didn't have half the ingredients and had to get fairly creative. I'm going to share the original recipe and show you all the substitutions I made. They really did turn out pretty well...rich...I think I'll same them for my Holiday Bash on the 17th. 

 Ranger Cookies~Vegan & Gluten Free
  • 1/2 cup cashew butter (I don't have cashew butter so I used almond, and may have one overboard)
  • 1/2 cup vegan margarine (Out of butter so used olive oil)
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated organic sugar (out of sugar, used Coconut Secret coconut sugar)
  • 3 tbsp flaxseed meal mixed with 6 tbsp water
  • 1 tbsp fresh squeezed orange juice
  • 1/2 tsp orange zest (didn't have this)
  • 1 cup sweet white sorghum flour (I was out of flour, so I used oat flour for all the flour)
  • 3/4 cup brown rice flour
  • 1/2 cup potato starch
  • 1/4 cup tapioca starch
  • 1/2 cup dried flaked coconut (out of coconut)
  • 1 tsp xanthan gum (nope)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 cup sliced almonds (added walnuts as well as I didn't have enough almonds
  • 1 cup chocolate chips (definitely added to this)
I also had to add some grahahm cracker crumbs because it wasn't thick enough. I let the batter sit in the fridge a couple of hours to firm up, worked well. Baked for 15 minutes because slightly soft still. 

Preheat oven to 375°F and lightly grease 2-3 cookie sheets.
Cream together cashew butter, margarine and sugar until smooth. Add in prepared flaxseed meal, orange juice and orange zest.
In separate bowl, combine sorghum flour, brown rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, flaked coconut, xanthan gum and baking powder.
Stir dry ingredients gradually into wet ingredients and then fold in sliced almonds and chocolate chips.
Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheet, leaving about 2 inches between each cookie.  Press down very lightly with fork to slightly flatten.
Bake for 10-12 minutes in preheated oven (the less time, the softer the cookies will be). Be sure to use a metal spatula to remove cookies from cookie sheet while still warm and transfer to wire cooling rack. Let cool completely before enjoying

What Have You Been  Making?

3 comments:

  1. Can you post the recipe for the first picture? Looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quiche recipe is as follows: 3 eggs, package of ricotta, mix those until well blended. One cup of cheese of your choice (i used white cheddar for this) One cup of veggies of choice (I used tomatoes and shredded basil). Mix, pour into pie crust, bake one hour. Set for 15 minutes before serving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quiche looks great! Is it similar to the one we had at Thanksgiving?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails