1. Goji Berries. If you watched David Wolfe's video, you'll remember he emphasized how important goji berries are in Chinese Medicine. This tantalizing berry is known as the "longevity berry". Rumor has is a Chinese man named Li Qing Yuen drank a soup made from goji berries daily and lived to be 252 years old! They are a complete protein source, contain 19 different amino acids, 21 trace minerals, are extremely high in Iron and one of the highest antioxidant foods in the world. Antioxidants protect us from free radicals and counter the creation of cancer cells. Goji berries also support the adrenal glands, boost immune function, increase alkalinity, improve eyesight and much more.
2. Cacao (Raw Chocolate). This is chocolate in it's purest form. The Mayans considering this nut to be the food of the Gods and traded it as money instead of gold. Cacao is nature's number one weight loss and energy boosting tool. Raw cacao supports supports heart function and contains the highest concentration of antioxidants of any food in the world! It contains a great deal of trace minerals, including zinc, copper and Vitamin C. It is the number one source of Magnesium, incredibly high Iron content, helps balance blood sugar and oxygenates the blood. Cacao also produces Serotonin, which helps us feel good.
3. Maca. Maca is a member of the cruciferous family. This incredible veggie supports and balances your hormones, heals depression, increases libido, supports the Endocrine system, and provides thyroid support. In men, Maca has proven to heal many issues involving the prostate.
4. Bee Products (Raw Honey, Bee Pollen, Royal Jelly). It's extremely important when researching bee products to support beekeepers that use cruelty free, organic practices. Not only is this more humane, but you will get a much better product. Also, if possible, purchase your Bee Pollen from a local source. Pollen has proven to greatly reduce allergies, and locally sourced pollen will better protect you from possible allergens in your area. My Mom gives her dog Aurora bee pollen for allergies and has noticed a significant different in her skin condition, scratching, and other signs of allergies. Bee Pollen is also highly alkaline, neutralized free radicals, increases hormone levels, increases strength and muscle definition. Royal Jelly is fed exclusively to the Queen Bee. This product is extremely high in protein, regulates nerve fibers, B-Vitamins, and treats hormonal imbalances. A study published in 1960 by the American Association for Cancer Research Inc. found that "whole royal jelly, when premixed with tumor cells before inoculation, has been shown to inhibit completely the development of transplantable AKR leukemia..."
5. Spirulina. This superfood contains the highest concentration of any protein on the planet. It's also one of the best sources of Iron and great for anemics. This bad boy contains all eight essential amino acids, rich in vitamins and minerals, chlorophyll, an anti-inflammatory, balances brain chemistry, a blood builder, immune booster, high in antioxidants, and contains Gamma-Linolenic Acid, which gives us soft silky skin and healthy hair.
6. AFA Super Blue-Green Algae. Another great green, this algae improves digestion, is a great blood builder, has over 40 trace minerals, is an excellent source of B-Vitamins, a complete protein source, inhibits the growth of cancer cells, reduces inflammation, and protects against free radical damage. It also contains Phenylethylamine, dubbed the "love chemical" which increases our feelings of joy.
7. Marine Phytoplankton. The favorite food of whales, this is one powerful food source. Essentially, it is life. "The makeup of Marine Phytoplankton is exactly what human cell membranes need to carry out their metabolism. Research indicates that Marine Phytoplankton contains every nutrient needed for the creation and maintenance of new cells...Phytoplankton is 100 percent bio available to the human body; when you eat it, not a single part of it is wasted. This is astounding because even the healthiest foods contain less than 50 percent absorb able and available nutrition. " Check out David Wolfe's video from my previous blog entry for some cool info on this amazing product!
8. Aloe Vera. This amazingly beautiful plant is a great healer and easy to grow at home. Topically Aloe heals many skin problems including burns and eczema. You can also drink it, I suggest buying "George's", this brand is not the slightest bit bitter, in fact it tastes just like water. Aloe is great for all types of digestive problems, including Crohn's Disease, it aids in relieving fungal infections, kills yeast, and is great for weight loss. Aloe Vera also reduces inflammation, reduces cancer tumors, normalizes blood sugar, produces white blood cells, promotes healthy kidneys and increases the elasticity of our skin.
9. Hemp Seed. This controversial seed is also one of nature's richest sources of complete protein, only exceeded by Spirulina and Blue-Green Algae. Hemp Seeds are extremely high in Omega 3 and 6 essential fatty acids, are a great source of fiber, an anti-inflammatory, high mineral content and contain 18 amino acids. There are a lot of great Hemp Protein Powders on the market, making this a very easily accessible Superfood.
10. Coconuts. Forget sports drinks, coconuts are one of the highest sources of electrolytes in nature. Coconuts improve digestion, aid in fighting off viruses, symptoms of hypoglycemia, regulate hormone production, support the thyroid, increase metabolism, support healthy cholesterol, alleviate kidney stones, aid in urinary tract infections and are a great source of raw saturated fat. Fun fact: "Young coconut water is nearly identical to human blood plasma, making it a universal donor. During the Pacific battles of World War II, between 1941-1945, both sides in the conflict used coconut water--siphoned directly from the coconut--to give emergency plasma transfusions to wounded soldiers."
I realize to the average reader that some of these Superfoods sound rather foreign and sketchy on the taste factor. Never fear, Super Smoothies are here!! Any and all of these items can be tossed together to create a kick ass, healing taste sensation. Coconut water is also great on it's own and makes an excellent sport drink. Most of these products can be found in your local health food store or Whole Foods. For the harder to find products, I recommend checking out The Raw Food World for great deals, fast service, and a monthly informative newsletter with coupons. Tomorrow Superfoods Part III will debut, where I will cover David Wolfe's Honorable Mentions, along with a few suggestions of my own. If you missed Part I, click here to check it out: Superfoods: Eating for Optimal Health Part I.