Wednesday, September 14, 2011

31 Things Before I Turn 31: #24 Take the "No TV for 30 Days" Challenge

After getting out of the hospital, I got into a major creative kick and didn't turn on the computer for a couple of weeks. Then I realized, hey, one of my challenges is to go 30 Days without TV, summer shows are ending, most of the Fall shows don't start for two weeks, lets finish this thing. What an amazing experience! It really wasn't difficult, especially with my creative juices flowing and the weather turning so nice. I admit that I do enjoy chillin' to a good TV show, but I find that sometimes watching TV becomes a way to ignore the other things in our lives. Watching a show or two a night, or a few times a week, no big deal, but spending your whole day/evening with the TV, that's just not healthy. I also learned that there are still some shows that I watch more out of habit rather than enjoyment, and I didn't even miss them. So those got deleted. I will slowly catch up with the rest, maybe have a few marathons, plus there are new shows I want to check out. But really, if you don't look forward to it, what's the point? So what did I do instead?


  1. Go out on Ladies Date Nights with friends. During this time I went to Eden's Alley, Accurso's, and the Bluebird and had some other friend time in between.
  2. I meditated more. 
  3. I started journaling daily and even purchased some inspirational books. It's been really great. 
  4. I spent time outside just reading or soaking in the sun.
  5. I spent time going to dinner and movies with my parents. 
  6. I went up to various coffee shops and just read or did some writing.
  7. I wrote a ton of Squidoo lenses.
  8. I kept up with my blog, and did some design updates
  9. I read
  10. I did a few things off my 31 Things list, including organizing my photos, decluttering,  and some baking. 
  11. I did MOPA sessions 3x a week, Resonance Repatterning, and Colonics. 
  12. I focused on healing my body. 
  13. I took naps
  14. I made music playlists
  15. I did some cooking, wrote a new casserole recipe, baked some blondies and my delicious pasta salad
  16. I started back with Soldiers Angels and got my first lady soldier name this week


Overall it was a great experience. I really didn't even want to start watching again, but I wanted to eat something that involved both hands, and the new Sarah Michelle Gellar show "Ringer" started tonight. So I thought, what the heck? I enjoyed the show, but had no desire to watch any other TV. TV should be a form of entertainment, not a way to zoom out or my Mom and I will get into these conversations where she'll be backed up 2-3 episodes of some show and she's like "I should just sit down and watch them" and you know what, I used to feel that way too, but how stupid it that. It's not a chore, if you don't look forward to it, then what's the point. There are shows that I like that maybe once I start watching, I do enjoy it, but I have decided that if I'm not going to force anything, if it's an episode by episode show, and you get backed up, skin the damn thing already! Plus, you know you have those shows that you've watched for several seasons, and really, you don't care anymore, but it's part of what you watch. Delete it from your DVR; simple don't let your DVR record that show anymore, and see if you miss it. If you don't forget about it! 

2 comments:

  1. I loved reading your list! So great you get to do and experience so much. My boyfriend and I don't have cable and watch 3 shows: Castle, Two and a Half Men, and Big Bang Theory. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great that you found plenty of things to do with your time besides watch TV!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails