Sunday, March 20, 2011

Ode to My Grandma

"life's not a paragraph, and death i think is no parenthesis" e e cummings



My Grandma passed away this weekend. My sadness is minor compared to the joy of knowing she no longer suffers. She died peacefully after weeks of pain and for that I am grateful. Her body could no longer contain her; now her essence is free to explore, kick up her heels and experience a Spiritual Love that is beyond human comprehension. 


She was a kind woman with simple needs, yet could be very stubborn and very good at getting what she desired. My best memories are of us playing paper dolls on Saturday afternoons, and the Valentine's Day cards she would send out each year. She also made an excellent batch of banana bread! 


I wish I had really known her. We were never the family that talked about things beyond the surface. I am grateful that in her final weeks, she related several stories to me from her childhood and her early marriage years with my Grandad.  Memories of growing up on the farm, playing schoolhouse with her siblings, sneaking up on my Grandad at a restaurant, her nearly 60 year friendship with her best friend and so much more. Happy 89th Birthday Grandma!!


"Love is stronger than death even though it can't stop death from happening, but no matter how hard death tries, it can't separate people from love. It can't take away our memories either. In the end, life is stronger than death." Anonymous

1 comment:

  1. The two of them popped in to see me this morning looking young and vibrant like the picture above (only they were in color) (o:
    I am sure she appreciates this beautiful tribute!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails