Saturday, February 5, 2011

In the Kitchen With Shanna: Onion Rings, Vegetable Korma and Pasta Salad!

I've been in the kitchen a lot this past week, making so many delicious vegan delights. Once again I have to send my love to Isa Moskowitz for her amazing vegan cookbooks.  This week I've been focusing on her new one, Appetite For Reduction. The book focuses on low-fat, healthy options for vegans. After going raw, and cleaning out my diet, fried foods simply make me sick. I used to love fried pickles and onion rings, but sadly, they are no longer my friend. Until...Isa came along! She's created a fabulous OMG Oven Baked Onion Rings, which I made earlier this week. I also had some pickles on hand and thought, why not?


I served these with Garlic Aioli using a recipe modified from the Urban Vegan cookbook.

Garlic Aioli
Ingredients: 3 cloves of garlic, 1/2 cup Vegenaise, 2 T lemon juice, 2 T olive oil, salt/pepper/garlic salt to taste

Directions: Mix everything in food processor until blended. Taste and add garlic seasoning as needed. Chill for at least one hour before serving.






This recipe for Vegetable Korma also comes from Isa's new book. Unfortunately, my pantry is really not stocked for unusual spices, however, this still came out tasting out of this world.

2nd Avenue Vegetable Korma

Ingredients: 1 tsp olive oil, 1 small red onion quartered and sliced thinly, 3 cloves garlic, 2 T minced ginger, 2 tsp curry power, 1 tsp garam masala, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1/2 tsp ground coriander, 1/2 tsp salt, 2 cups vegetable broth, 1 1/2 lbs cauliflower cut into florets, 1 pound zucchini cut into 1/4 inch slices, 1/2 pound carrots peeled and cut into 1/4 inch slices, 3/4 cup frozen peas, 3/4 cup light coconut milk, 1 tsp agave nectar, 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Directions: Preheat 4-quart pot over medium heat.Saute the onion in oil for 5 minute; Add garlic and ginger and saute another minute. Add broth, mix in spices. Add cauliflower, zucchini, and carrots.  Cover the pot and boil for 10 minutes. Add the peas, coconut milk, agave and cilantro. Turn off the heat and let the flavors meld for 5 minutes before serving. Serve with brown rice.




Shanna's Pasta Salad

Ingredients: 16 oz tri-colored pasta, one whole cucumber peeled and diced, 2 tomatoes diced, one bell pepper diced, 1 can black olives sliced, 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 T lemon juice, basil/oregano/garlic/salt/pepper to taste

Directions: Boil the pasta per bag instructions (Note: you could sub for a gluten free pasta if you have an intolerance). Chop all the veggies and place in a large boil. Mix the liquid ingredients. I do not measure my seasonings, but I would say I add a "dash" of the salt/black pepper, and a few teaspoons of each other seasoning. Drain the pasta and run cold water over it until it stops steaming. Add pasta to bowl of veggies, and toss with dressing. Chill for at least one hour before serving.

What's been cooking in your kitchen?


 

2 comments:

  1. I want to try those onion rings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Veggie korma - delicious! Indian food is my favorite.

    You know, I've been hearing about the Café Gratitude thing for so long, but I never hear anything final or for-sure. So it's really happening this year? Wow! I wonder if they need a chef...because, yknow, someone I know would be perfect for that job!... ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails