Sunday, February 26, 2012

Health, Life, 'etc.

I've been rather quiet for the last week and a half. Last Friday, February 17th, I posted how wonderful things were going. And they were. Friday I got up, had a lovely lunch with a friend, did a bit of shopping, and was preparing to drive to my Mom's to meet up for a movie when CRASH! I got in my car after hitting up Old Navy and suddenly I just crashed. I felt every ounce of energy just run out of my body and I could barely keep my eyes open. I called my Mom, sent my apologizes for the movie, and drove home. It was a 20 minute drive and I swear I didn't think I would make it. I finally got home, walked in the house, threw done my coat and crawled into bed. This was around 4pm in the afternoon. I woke up several hours later, and had some juice. I made it about an hour and crashed again. Several hours later, woke up for more juice, then crash. I have literally been sleeping since then.

Friday the 24th I broke my juice fast, had some roasted root veggies (along with some juice). Slept some more, had a little bit of Indian food, and Friday night I was up from 4:30 to almost 2am, the longest period of awakeness in over a week. I slept on and off through the night, getting up for coconut water, raw nuts, and juice a few times. Around 7am I could no longer sleep. so I got up, and went out to get some more juice and intended on hitting up Trader Joe's for some salads and good food to transition out of my juice feast. I got the juice, about half of what I normally had been doing, but was too tired to tackle Trader Joe's. I ended up having some  juice and fresh aloe and then went back to sleep. I woke up again early afternoon, and managed to stay up for 3-4 hours, took a short 1.5 hour nap, and had some more Indian food and watched Merlin and managed to stay up for another few hours. I then slept through most of Saturday night. Sunday morning I got up around 9:30, because my Dad called and said he and his posse (explain in a minute), were on the way. They spent about an hour or so with me, then I spent about another hour talking to my Mom on the phone. I went back to sleep for about two hours, and have been up ever since, although I suspect I'll be ready for bed once I finish this post as it's nearly Midnight. I am still fatigued, but doing much better, and tomorrow (Monday) my Mom and her friends are coming to clean and get some Trader Joe's for me.

So what happened?

  1. I hate juicing with a fiery passion, but after getting out of the hospital, I knew I needed to give my body a break, get cleaned out, and let it focus on healing. Juicing takes all the work of digestion out, therefore allowing the body to focus on other things. So instead of doing it personally, we would buy juices from a local establishment, 80 oz, daily. While this seemed like a perfect solution, upon reflection I realize that while tasty, most of the juice were high in fruit and the vegetables used were sweeter veggies such as beets, carrots, cucumber, etc. There weren't a lot of dark leafy greens. So while it helped tremendously at first, after awhile my body felt like it was missing something, which it was.  
  2. Also, initially my body was doing an awesome job moving "stuff" on out. However, this past week that has slowed, and I started having pain when going to the bathroom. Low and behold, I developed hemorrhoids! Ugh! I've never had them before, so it took me a few days to figure out what was wrong. I've been taking a couple different treatments for the last several days, but they are stubborn bastards and don't seem to want to go away. Besides intense pain, one of the effects of hemorrhoids is constipation. So I'm hoping the colon cleanse will help. It turns everything into pure liquid, so should be easier to release. But since I'm having problems in that area, my body has because a bit toxic, so I need to get stuff out!
So as of now, I'm transition from juicing to solid foods again. I plan on having a superfood smoothie for breakfast, a nice salad for lunch, and something like a Buddha bowl, soup or gluten free pasta for dinner. I'm  going to get some grapes and raw nuts for snacking. This should keep me back in balance. 

Well, I have some life updates as well, but as this post is long enough already, I'll save them for my next post. 


  1. Sorry to hear you were not doing well. Sounds like you did the right thing listening to your body as much as you could. Sending you healing prayers

  2. Listen to what your body and your intuition are telling you. It does sound as if you need more of a "balance". Our bodies heal while we are sleeping, so maybe all that sleep did some good. Hope you are feeling better.
    Cancer Warrior

  3. Glad you are doing better Shanna! I enjoyed our lunch together the other day! :)

  4. Take some time to enjoy food and drink juice throughout the day. Have fun and enjoy yourself a little! You definitely deserve it!


Related Posts with Thumbnails