1. Acai. Acai has one of the highest antioxidant content in the world, neutralizes free radicals, contains high level of essential fatty acids, helps regenerate stem cells, very low glycemic level, and fights cancer. "A recent University of Florida Study...showed extracts from acai berries triggered a self-destruct response in up to 86 percent of leukemia cells tested."
2. Camu Camu Berry. This berry is know as the Vitamin C Sun King. It contains the world's highest vitamin C content. It also supports immune function, improves eyesight, creates beautiful skin, supports strong collagen, decreases inflammation, reduces stress, and improves lung health.
3. Chlorella. This algae contains more chlorophyll per gram than any other plant. Chlorophyll rejuvenates the blood, cleanses out the bowels, and detoxes the liver. Chlorella restores white blood cells, increases resistance to viral infections and is an excellent treatment for those suffering from Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease. It also aids in digestion, is one of the highest sources of protein on the planet and is extremely rich in vitamins and minerals.
4. Incan Berries. This delicious berry actually exceeds the goji berry in protein. It's also an excellent source of beta-carotene, vitamin c, and bioflavonoids. The combination of bioflavonoids and pectin in this berry makes is a great detox tool. They also have a mild laxative effect.
5. Kelp. This sea vegetable is mineral rich, helps restore thyroid functioning, improve metabolism, contains iodine which allows our organs to function more effectively, prevents cancer of the digestive system and aids in eliminating other forms of cancer. It is also a great memory tool and aids in speedy healing.
6. Noni. This fruit is most often found as a fermented beverage or in powder form. It is full of antioxidants and aids in skin elasticity, cell regeneration, defense against free radicals, anti-inflammatory, and detoxes the body.
7. Yacon Root. This plant is an excellent substitute for traditional sweeteners. It's a great blood sugar balancer and ideal for diabetics. It is great for colon health, creates healthy flora in the body and promotes the growth of probiotics.
I realize this is a lot of information and can be overwhelming. I suggest starting small. Pick a few Superfoods that you feel would benefit you and start adding them to your smoothies. A couple of other foods that I would label "superfoods" are wheatgrass, fermented foods, spinach, sprouts and avocado. If you are just starting out, these simple foods are easily accessible and will greatly aid you in your health journey. Wheatgrass can be purchased fresh or frozen; frozen wheatgrass is great in smoothies. Fermented foods, such as sauerkraut, kimichi, and miso aid in digestion. Spinach, while not as high as Spirulina, is also a great source of Iron and Protein and available in any supermarket. Avocado's contain essential fatty acids that aid in eyesight and skin health. Be brave! Get out there and start experimenting. Let me know how you are doing and any recipes that you've created.